Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  October 1, 2013 5:00pm-6:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
will fail but we respect the way the system works. the reason i wrote this new book that came out today "tip and the gipper" is to show our system can work. i was there right in the middle of it when it did. that's "hardball" for now. "all in with chris hayes" starts now. good evening. from new york i'm chris hayes. tonight 20 hours in a u.s. government shutdown, republicans are facing the unpleasant reality of the world outside the conservative bubble. >> rarely have i seen an ininstance where one party is so much more responsible, guilty, than the other. >> so the stakes have really been raised in this now. >> is there any grace saving way for republicans to back themselves out of the corner? >> it's a mistake and it is hurting the republican party. >> but we also want basic
5:01 pm
fairness for all americans under obama care. >> what do you say for the workers, sir? >> my favorite is identity daily news." >> "the house of turds." >> the president seized the bully pulpit to say once more we will not negotiate. >> let me repeat, nobody gets to hurt our economy and millions of hard working families over a law you don't like. >> as the president stands firm, republicans continue to turn on each other. >> there's so much opposition to that policy, it's madness, going absolutely nowhere. >> i think what we're going to do is play out the strategy that i would call that's kind of an oxymoron because it's really not a strategy. >> with the gop in disarray, the right-wing media is working overtime to spin a government
5:02 pm
shutdown. >> 800,000 federal workers furloughed, okay? most people won't know that. >> this is a pinprick. it is not the end of the world. >> people are probably going to realize they can live with a lot less government. >> maybe i'm just one of the few people, i'm just not -- this doesn't impact me mentally. we've had 17 government shutdowns. >> look at this. >> that is such an appropriate headline. how do they get away with that? >> inappropriate and accurate. it's just not accurate. >> while fox news attempts to rebrand the shutdown, a slim down in some epic denialism. the real effects of the shut down are unfolding across america. an army poets in hunst in hunts alabama, people are stocking up on perishable. >> everybody is shot be today trying to get as much as they can get because they don't know
5:03 pm
what's going to happen. >> a furloughed employees in new york, virginia prepares to find new work. >> it's devastating. >> what's next for you? >> make some money on the side, cut some grass, bartend, whatever. >> reporter: and in the nation's capital today, as world war ii veterans stormed the barricade of the shuttered world war ii memorial, the republicans lawmakers who shut the town down tried to hold a press conference amidst the shouting protesters. >> you guys are worthless! >> an overwhelming 72% of americans are opposed to a government shutdown to block the implementation of obama care. we're watching in realtime the consequences of that shutdown playing out almost like everyone said they would. >> it gives the president a bully pulpit and a gigantic stick on which to beat puus. >> this is going to be a complete disaster.
5:04 pm
>> if only october john boehner listened to march john boehner. >> there's no reason to get into a debate about shutting down the government. it's just not a smart thing to do. >> joining me now is white house press secretary jay carney. we're hearing the house of representatives is going to pass and send over to the senate for a bunch of mini crs for things they feel are inconveniencing the their constituents. >> it demonstrates the lack of seriousness the house republicans have known in approaching this very simple task, which is fulfilling their responsibility to keep the government open, to extend funding at current levels, no partisan strings attached by democrats, no partisan strings attached by the president, just do your job, fund the president, keep it open. the president said as he has said all along and has all year
5:05 pm
to discuss negotiations about broader budget issues, how we invest to make our country secure and continue to reduce the deficits. but in a balanced way. this approach demonstrates they're still not serious. it's like they're cherry picking little pieces to keep open because it's inconvenient to keep them sput shut. the rig -- shut. the right thing to do if they want them open is to keep them open. >> right now we're going to go to the october 17th debt ceiling limit as announced by the treasury. at a certain point if this extends, does there come a tipping point at which the white house will not sign off on a deal that doesn't also include a debt ceiling raise? because it seems to me that a week from now if you're passing something to get us out of the
5:06 pm
shutdown and turning around and finding yourselves staring down the barrel of another fight of the debt ceiling, that doesn't do anyone any good. >> let me say two things, chris. one, the habit that republicans, especially in the house have of, you know, governing by crisis and consecutive crisis and habitual crisis is bad for the economy and bad for the american people and we oppose it. secondly, you're right to raise the debt ceiling because the concern that we have is that as bad as shutting the government down is with the hundreds of thousands of hard working americans who couldn't go to work today and aren't getting paid and all the other negative impacts of shutdown, default is infinitely worse. it would be catastrophic, as the imf said today. the mere flirtation with default as we saw in 2011 by these same house republicans would have truly damaging effects on our economy and on the middle class. so we're opposed to that.
5:07 pm
but the president is being clear, no negotiating over congress's responsibility to pay the bills that congress has racked up. we won't negotiate over that. >> you talked about the habit -- i want to ask you, you talk about the habit that's been formed here and the need to break that habit. i wonder if you think the president and the white house bear some responsibility for the habit because back in 2011 when the house republicans first threatened essentially default in the process of trying to get leverage for a budget deal, the president was willing to negotiate. did that set a negative precedent that we're now living with to this day? >> there's no question, chris, that of the 40 plus times that congress has voted to raise the debt ceiling, the singular exception to how they approached it was 2011 and that for the first time in our history, one party, in this case the republicans, chose to actually flirt with default and that had
5:08 pm
negative consequences and were the first to acknowledge that had negative consequences that were bad for the economy. what the president was trying to do that year was reach a comprehensive budget great with the speaker of the house and with republicans in the house and the senate and he hoped and believed he could and he thought that would be the right thing for the economy. he certainly never supported the idea and i remember standing at the podium absolutely castigating those who supported the idea that we could flirt with default. but we learned that summer that republicans were willing to do that and americans across the country paid the price for it. >> white house press secretary jay carney, thank you so much for your time. >> thank you. >> joining me now is senator chris murphy, democrat from connecticut. senator, one of the things -- one of the themes in the first 20 hours of this from a political standpoint is it seems to meet democratic caucus in the senate and house are quite united. you've seen the house leadership bring a number of different
5:09 pm
attempts at trying to game out something that will kick the ball back into your court, whether it's appointing to a conference committee or a failed attempt to pass mini crs. is that the case, that the members are all on the same page? >> we're willing to talk to the republicans but not while the government is shut down. we just can't continue to run government by crisis. what we're talking about here is essentially a six-week continuing resolution so as a price of keeping the open for six weeks, the republicans want to repeal a health care law that is going to help millions of americans. what are they going to want six weeks from now? six weeks from then? we can't continue to do this. and i think as a caucus in the senate, democrats have just decided enough for enough. we have to stop allowing them to take americans by hostage.
5:10 pm
if john boehner brought up a clean continuing resolution on the floor, it would pass. if there was no other way out of this other than negotiation, maybe we'd talk. but if he brings that you clean resolution, he'll get votes from democrats and republicans and the crisis is over. >> one thing i couldn't help but notice last night and the continuing resolution language was pinging back between the house and the senate and the roll call votes were all 54-46. and it interesting to note there was no a filibuster operating on the floor. it's worth points out that if the filibuster were operational yesterday, this would be a very different situation because the majority caucus in the senate wouldn't be able to just pass a clean continuing resolution. we would be in negotiations probably right now. >> so think about how bad this looks and how much worse it would be if the filibuster was operational. for those who of us want the filibuster gone, this is an
5:11 pm
example of at least how it makes it a little bit better without it. if there was a filibuster, i'm not sure the republicans would all stand together because there is a group of republicans in the senate who actually think that this tactic on behalf of the tea party in the house is foolish, who can vote now because they know it's only a 50-vote requirement but likely might join with us because ultimately a lot of the senior republicans in the senate know that this is so destructive to the republican brand to own this dysfunction that the republicans do right now. >> there's already a battle brewing in the press about the reality of what this shutdown looks like. what are you expecting to hear from your constituents as it plays out? >> i think people are pretty tired of hearing about this. they're used us to walking up to
5:12 pm
the precipice, the cliff, the deficit and then walking it back. i thi we're starting to get phone calls from people who didn't really think they were going to get furloughed who are now out a paycheck, from seniors who thought their social security claim was going to get processed but isn't. you're going to see a mounting furor from the public. i'll admit, some people just blame everybody but people who know it's not everybody, know it's the republicans to blame. you'll see how devastating this is and how simple it is to fix if john boehner just called a clean vote on the continuing resolution. >> thank you. i mentioned three minivilles
5:13 pm
that would gunned government benefits, government operations in washington and national parks. those were all defeated moments ago. this is the latest strategy after failing to receive two-thirds of the votes necessary to pass, for a procedural reason i'm not going to explain," the president threatened to veto any mini bills if they made it through congress and these didn't make it through congress. the senator from illinois joins me. now the house leadership can't even get the votes to pass the gimmicky stuff they want to pass to try to blame democrats or the senator or the white house. >> i think what they want to do is say, oh, you see those democrats wouldn't open up the parks and they wouldn't open -- you know, help the veterans. it doesn't really work because they don't get to pick and
5:14 pm
choose what parts of the government that they want. but, chris, i want to say one thing. i think you're missing something. >> please. >> today was the first day of obama care. over 2.8 million people went to web sites across the country. in illinois we had over 10,000 people -- is that right -- and apply for applications, web sites crashed all across the country for people who signed up and wanted to get information. so what is it the republicans want to hold hostage now? they've been on the floor saying we have to do this because everyone hates obama care, they don't want this, this is dangerous, nobody should sign up. and people are. so what is it that they're going to now say we're going to hold up the continuing resolution, we're not going to raise the debt ceiling. really? to get rid of obama care?
5:15 pm
it looks really popular as of today. >> and i think one of the things that republicans have feared and they've been arguing kind of in the alternative in a way that is in tension with itself is that it's a disaster people hated and we have to stop it now before people try it because then it will be too hard to get rid of it. >> and what we've been saying is that their greatest fear is not that it will fail but that it will succeed. so if today is any indication, and i know that there are still glitches and some of the web sites slowed down, i think it was health care.gov because so many people were on but, you know, there's an article about one guy who had to wait three hours. he said to save $6,000, i would have waited all day, it fine with me. >> do you think that there's a relationship -- one of the things that's interesting about today is the two things landed on the same date, the government shutdown essentially over defending obama care or delaying
5:16 pm
a key provision or the implementation of the law. is this an accident or have we hit kind of pay dirt, the deep issue, the deep fight in american politics between the left coalition and right coalition as they are constituted? >> well, i mean, the days are -- the day was set four years ago -- or three years ago, in 2010 when the affordable care act was passed. it was october 1st, it made some sense. let's remember that democrats still had control of the house of representatives and no one anticipated that this was -- that this was going to happen. so the convergence in some way we thought was an unhappy one, but it turns out that it may be really advantageous for us that we have these two things happening on the same day because i think that they are left now without an argument. >> congresswoman jan schakowsky of illinois, thank you for your time.
5:17 pm
>> coming up. >> he lost his mom to an illness. she didn't have insurance and couldn't afford the care she needed. he's told his story across america so nobody else would have to go through what his family experienced. >> what happened to the little boy who stood by president obama's side as he signed the affordable care act? we're going to find out. ♪ 'i'll be gone...' ♪ 'in a day or...' man: twooooooooooooooooo! is that me, was i singing? vo: not paying for scheduled maintenance feels pretty good. no-charge scheduled maintenance now on every new volkswagen. that's the power of german engineering vietnam in 1972. [ all ] fort benning, georgia in 1999. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down
5:18 pm
from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve military members, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
5:19 pm
coming up, i'm going to talk to two republicans who spent decades working in washington politics and on the hill and to ask is it me or is the republican party truly off the rails right now? we'll be right back.
5:20 pm
5:21 pm
here's what a republican said about some of his colleagues in their desperate attempt to defund obama care through a government shutdown. "lemings with suicide vest. they have to be more than just a lemming because jumping to your death is not enough. you have this group saying somehow if you're not with them, you're with obama care. if you're not with their plan, exactly what they want to do, you're with obama care. it's getting a little old." i'm a liberal, a little confession, and i'm inclined to think republicans are crossing into extreme new territory by holding up government funding after losing an election to destroy a signature piece of legislation of the country's majority party, a piece of legislation that was passed by both houses, signed by the president, deemed constitutional and extensively litigated in the last presidential election, one whose main goal is to give millions of americans access to health care. there are republicans just as
5:22 pm
perplexed as i am by the republican strategy. and let's talk to some. >> joining me, is michael loftkin, the author of "party is over." mike, being a hill veteran and seeing a whole bunch of continuing resolution fights, budget fights, conference committee, are we dealing with normal politics or have we crossed into a different kind? >> no, this is not the 80s. this is something new. the party that i joined was the party of lincoln, the party of theodore roose celt. the party of eisenhower. she's were patriots all. they were for one nation, indivisible. we have an insurrectionist,
5:23 pm
neoconfederate party that seems dedicated to all kinds of apocalyptic outcomes. i don't know if this comes from their fundamentalist religious outlook for whether it's just good fund-raising for them among their base, but they are no longer a normal political party. they are an insurrectionist party that is bringing down the government. >> okay. no longer a normal political party. i have heard a lot of commentators say this. i want to play devil as advocate and check my own biasses here, bruce. we had more shutdowns between tip o'neill and the democratic congress and reagan than we have now and there's some who argue a system like we have invest minority parties with a lot of power and so this is a natural system. what do you think of that? >> well, that's certainly true up to a point. but i think what we're really seeing here is a crisis of
5:24 pm
democracy, where one party believes its principles are so correct, so strong and the other party's principles are so evil that we're essentially talking about god compromising with satan and you can't do that and therefore they're justified by using any means necessary to get l way, despite the fact that the majority disagrees with them. they don't think that that matters in the slightest. the truth of their principles is the only thing that matters to them. >> mike, you said the word "insurrectionist" pip wa." i want to ask you about the evolution from a normal party to a not normal party. what is the represent tupture ts the conditions for a party to start acting in i way curreway
5:25 pm
certain republicans, acting? >> i would say newt gingrich's speakership was a weigh station on i way to where we are now. but the gop as it exists now is kind of a frankenstein monster created by the twin shocks of 9/11 and the financial meltdown in 2008. because 9/11 sort released a lot of unpleasant things in the american id, a kind of absolutism of good versus evil, a kind of totalitarian outlook. we've seen this with the nsa. and then the 2008 crash was similar to the great depression in many countries. we were lucky. we had fdr. many countries went violently to the right.
5:26 pm
>> yeah. the twin traumas of those two crises is part of what i think forms the legacy of the breakdown in kind of institutional norms. bruce, the other way that people talk about this is the way that a combination of the big one in 2010 and the way to shape the way districts are controlled at the state level, gerrymandering and democratic divide between the house of caucus and the rest of american where the house of caucus that want the strategy don't look like the constituents that went to the poll to elect barack obama. >> they're right. one thing i want to add to what mike said is there are deeply historical forces at work here. we talk about republicans taking over the south but actually it's the other way around and the politics of the republican party today can best be understood as the politics of the southern
5:27 pm
democrats. now, don't misunderstand me. i'm not saying that this is a racial matter. i'm just saying that the nature of the politics is the same and i've been thinking a lot the last two days about a term that you're probably familiar with called massive resistance, which was a term that was used in the 1950s to people who opposed the brown versus bored of education decision and used any means necessary, constitutional, legal, illegal, whatever it took to fight the desegregation of the public schools. and that, in that sense, the republican politics of today are the same as the politics of the southern democrats of the 1950s. >> rejectionism, economist bruce bartley, former staffer mike lofgren. >> we sent producers out in the field today to find out how
5:28 pm
people were doing. a report is coming up. when does your work end? does it end after you've expanded your business? after your company's gone public? and the capital's been invested? or when your company's bought another? is it over after you've given back? you never stop achieving. that's why, at barclays, our ambition is to always realize yours.
5:29 pm
ladies... kitchen counselor. it's likely your detergent. cascade platinum's triple cleaning formula delivers brilliant shine finish gel can't beat. it even helps keep your dishwasher sparkling. cascade platinum is cascade's best.
5:30 pm
5:31 pm
this is footage from march 23rd, 2010 as president obama signed the patient protection and affordable care act. it's the law we now canned obama care. it's become a visual shorthand for obama care, especially for people like news the television news business when you want people to stand you're talking about obama care, that video is an easy choice. this is nbc news on the night
5:32 pm
the bill was signed. here's rachel maddow two years ago when it was upheld by the supreme court and just recently when it w . >> nearly everyone who sees this video, that little boy remains frozen in time. that little boy is now 14 years old. as big as that day was in 2010, this day is just as big. he joins me live in studio. stay with us. and so is giving him real tasty food. now there's new so good! dog food from iams. some leading brands contain sugar, or dyes, or artificial preservatives. ♪ [ dog whimpers ] but so good! from iams has 100% wholesome ingredients and none of those other things. now that's real love. and so is that. new so good! from iams. learn more at iams.com.
5:33 pm
that we can find. if i wouldn't put it on my table at home, i wouldn't bring it in. [ male announcer ] hurry in to crabfest at red lobster, the only time you can savor three hearty alaskan crab entrées all under $20. like snow crab and crab butter shrimp for just $14.99. or our savory crab and roasted garlic seafood bake. my name's jon forsythe, and i sea food differently. [ male announcer ] go to redlobster.com now to get free crab-stuffed mushrooms with two dinner entrées. to get free crab-stuffed mushrooms make my mark i wawith pride.ork. create moments of value. build character through quality. and earn the right to be called a classic. the lands' end no iron dress shirt. starting at 49 dollars.
5:34 pm
but with advair, i'm breathing better. so now i can help make this a great block party. ♪ [ male announcer ] advair is clinically proven to help significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function. [ male announcer ] advair diskus fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation powder. get your first prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com.
5:35 pm
[ male announcer ] maybe you've already heard what they're saying about the nissan altima. ♪ and we have to admit, that it's all true. but don't just take their word for it, check it out for yourself. the award-winning nissan altima. nissan. innovation that excites. now get a $179 per month lease on a 2013 nissan altima. ♪ if i had stayed on the cobra plan, i would have had to pay $650 a month to maintain the same package i had as an employee. my income with unemployment benefits is $1,400 a month. so that's half of my budget right there and i have other responsibilities of course. so that wasn't going to work. from what i understand through the affordable care act, that my
5:36 pm
premium is going to be about $75 to $85 a month. that is what i consider affordable. >> that was a woman who was laid off from her hospital job in january and battled osteoarthritis ever since. >> glitches kept the web site in new york and other states prevented people from signing up today the new york department of health announced its web site saw 7.5 million hits by medic - mid-afternoon. avila said she didn't mind the glitches. she didn't care if she had to wait until tomorrow if that's what it took to finally get health care she could afford. >> health care access that was
5:37 pm
80 years in the making. >> the idea of national health care was first considered by franklin delano roosevelt. fdr nearly included it in the social security act, but he was met by strong opposition from a group that would play a major in killing efforts to expand health care over the next 70 years, the american medical association, the trade group for doctors. ten years later, it was harry truman who called on congress to create an optional national health insurance fund run by the federal government. a house subcommittee called the plan a communist plot. in the end, it was the korean war that brought truman's efforts to an end. when lyndon johnson signed medicare into law 20 years
5:38 pm
later, it was the efforts of harry truman he credited with making it possible. in the early 1970s, senator ted kennedy worked behind the scenes with president richard nixon to find a compromise national health care plan. nixon was facing the usual opposition from the usual suspects and kennedy dreamed of a single payor system. but compromise seemed within reach. >> the purpose of this program is simply this -- i want america to have the finest health care in the world. >> but on the very day in 1974 that nixon sent a message to congress proposing a comprehensive national health insurance plan, the house of representatives voted to investigate him over the watergate scandal. the kennedy/nixon talks ended, the nixon presidency ended and the issue of national health care didn't come to the
5:39 pm
forefront for another two decades. >> nothing is more important than ensuring every american has co comprehensive health care benefits that can never be taken away. >> it looked like universal health care would finally become a reality. but the establishment and business community once again poured money into killing it. >> they choose, we lose. >> the industry succeeded in turning public opinion against the bill, and by summer of 1994, the clinton plan was dead. >> now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single american. >> barack obama made universal health care a priority of his 2008 campaign and the first major initiative of his presidency. the public was with him.
5:40 pm
congress was with him. even after 70 years, the ama was with him. but the right wing was united in opposition. opponents warned of death panels, socialism, a government takeover of health care. even as democrats abandoned liberal priorities like the public option, the ugly debate raged on. the law improbable survived a series of near-death experiences until democrats finally pushed through a bill by a whisker in march 2010 and the president signed the affordable care act into law. that was three and a half years ago. the fight didn't end when the bill became a law. it has survived 40 republicans attempt to appeal it, a challenge by the u.s. support and today with the u.s. government should down in an ill-fated last gas effort for republicans to stop it, the obama care exchanges are open for business.
5:41 pm
>> i don't want to sound political but i voted for this and it makes me proud to know my vote counted. >> if you listen to republicans, obama is going to be terrible for your doctor, because now everyone will have insurance and their pay will be lower. the real story next. ♪ [ male announcer ] you know that family? the one whose eye for design is apparent in every detail? ♪ whose refined taste is best characterized by the company they keep?
5:42 pm
♪ well...say hello to the newest member of the family. the cadillac srx. awarded best interior design of any luxury brand. take advantage of this exceptional offer on the 2013 cadillac srx with premium care maintenance included. she loves a lot of it's what you love about her. but your erectile dysfunction - that could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready.
5:43 pm
and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial. ♪ because an empty pan is a blank canvas. ♪ [ woman #2 ] to share a moment. ♪ [ man #1 ] to remember my grandmother. [ woman #3 ] to show my love.
5:44 pm
♪ [ woman #4 ] because life needs flavor. ♪ [ woman #5 ] to travel the world without leaving home. [ male announcer ] whatever the reason. whatever the dish. make it delicious with swanson. [ woman #1 ] that's why i cook.
5:45 pm
good morning and fasten your seat belts, everybody. it's going to be a bumpy road this morning with obama care on day one. >> so obama care day one, many web sites meant to provide insurance have been delayed. >> consider that just a couple of weeks ago apple rolled out a new mobile operating system. and within days they found a glitch. so they fixed it. i don't remember anybody suggesting apple should stop selling iphones or ipads or threatening to shut down the company if they did. >> the obama administration never shied away from the fact that there would be glitches with the roll out of the obama care exchanges. but some members failed to realize that the glitches are caused by the high numbers of people applying for insurance.
5:46 pm
here in new york, they received over 2 million calls in the first 90 millions. >> joining me is dr. patel. she worked with the obama administration. as a health care provider and someone who worked on the law, day one there were a lot of glitches, this want just the fox news propaganda machine, web sites were down. how do you think things went? >> i think it went very well. people know there were options. even though there were technical glitches, like the president said, we're fixing them, we're working on it and no matter what you can always get ahold of someone, even by the good old american land line. >> do you worry about this threshold action where you need to get people to do it and the first time you do it, if you go
5:47 pm
there's a preroll out, you're never going to see that clip. one little thing stopped me. do you worry about getting those people in the next three months? >> what's nice is we have all the way until march 1st to get them so i think that's important. the more people hear about things, like even what you're doing for your show tonight, the people peopwill go oh, yeah, i do that. >> my parents had to nag and nag and nag to get me to sign up for a catastrophic plan when i was no longer under their plan and i was a young freelancer making about $15,000 a year. i want to play you a clip from bill clinton talking about can you get young healthy people in the.
5:48 pm
>> -- in the pool. >> this only works if young, healthy people show up and if they claim their tax credit, it will only cost them $100 or so, we have to have them in the pool because otherwise all these costs can not be held if older people with preexisting conditions are disproportionately represented. you got to have everybody lined up. >> given the model, are you confident this is going to work out? >> yes, i am. i think it may not happen right away. people will need to be nagged. moms and the mothers and wives and significant women in the families often are the chief nagger and i do believe -- >> by the way, a true gender reductionist here but continue. >> i can speak for my personal experience is i'm the chief
5:49 pm
nagger in my family. what this results in as people hear more about this law, i had a patient today who didn't have insurance. she's 32. so in the young range. and she just said when can i sign up and when can i actually get an appointment to see a doctor? so i think that's what's going to matter. >> the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the proof of it is in seeing a doctor. there is this jimmy kimmel bit where he's asking people and the amount of confusion is very evident. you've done town halls for people who are uninsured. >> right. >> what are the questions people have and what is going to crack that? >> the most common question i got today was you're telling me i'm going to get health care starting when? they want to know when can they see a doctor, will it cover prescriptions, will this give them visits to the emergency room, the doctor, the hospital.
5:50 pm
they wanted to know if they didn't sign up today because they had to go to work, could they sign up another day. they all were confused like is this the only day they could sign up. they wanted to know what proof they needed. if i sign up online, do i have to show my identification when i go to the doctor? instead of focusing what's happening on capitol hill, this is what people really care about. >> i saw somebody who did sign up today who said it was less like shopping for a flight and more like a credit card application. i thought to myself, americans are good at getting credit cards. that seems like a doable amount of paper work. >> it takes a little more time but it should. you know, you need to fill out your address, you need to kind of if i am out what your health, we know that you have to talk
5:51 pm
about your age and what community you live in because that's how we determine how much your health insurance costs. those are the questions people were asking was how do we do this, how quickly can we get insurance when -- >> and when can i see a doctor? and that returns us to this issue here is, if it works, is about getting millions of people who don't have health care, reliable health care and getting that peace of mind and that wellness and that kind of grace that a functioning safety net and a social contract provides. dr. pattel, thank you. >> thank you. >> remember the little boy who stood next president obama? i'm really excited about this. he stood by president obama when he signed the affordable care act. that little boy will be here to talk with us. stay with us.
5:52 pm
♪ [ male announcer ] build anything with the new toyota tundra. toyota. let's go places. with the new toyota tundra. i dbefore i dosearch any projects on my home. i love my contractor, and i am so thankful to angie's list for bringing us together. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. i made some missteps -- i switched to some weird bargain detergent instead of tide... but no matter how much i poured, our clothes were missing that tide clean we were used to. so i'm back with tide... and i'm back on top of the world. that's mytide.
5:53 pm
and i'm back maestro of project management. baron of the build-out. you need a permit... to be this awesome. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle... and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. (aaron) purrrfect. (vo) meee-ow, business pro. meee-ow. go national. go like a pro. [ crashing ] [ male announcer ] when your favorite food starts a fight, fight back fast with tums. heartburn relief that neutralizes acid on contact
5:54 pm
and goes to work in seconds. ♪ tum, tum tum tum tums!
5:55 pm
march 23, 2010 at the signing ceremony for the affo affordable care act, there's the central figure in the picture, much shorter than anyone else. he's marcellus owens. the senator from washington was the first person to tell the story of his life under the hold health care regime. >> i'm going to tell everyone about this little boy. i met him at a health care rally in seattle. he was 10 years old. he and his two sisters have been through a lot. two years ago, his mother, tiffany, who is not in this picture, that's his grandmother,
5:56 pm
tiffany lost her life because she was not insured. >> today tiffany lives in seattle with his grandmother. it's my pleasure to welcome marcellus owens and his grandmother. thank you for making the trip out here. >> thank you for having us up. >> probably know this, you probably do, because if i were you i would know this about myself. your photo is so well known there. how do you feel today when this major piece of legislation starts to go into effect? >> i'm feeling really good because today is where you can actually see the effect that all of the hard work that everyone has been doing so you can actually see people -- this is like the stepping stone, like the first piece of change that's going to be happening. and so many people are going to be benefiting from this. i don't even think a lot of people realize. >> you were an activist of sorts, right i? mean, you were on -- it wasn't
5:57 pm
like some accident that you ended up at that bill signing. >> yeah. >> you were working hard to get universal health care because of the experience that you had had, the tragic experience you had in your own family. what did you learn from that experience of being an activist, of going and talking to members of congress? >> i learned that -- that when you work hard with people that are as dedicated as you, that you can make a lot of big changes that a lot of people may have never thought would happen. >> you lost your daughter to illness. >> i did. >> i can't even begin to fathom as a father of a child. what happened and how do you understand the way the old health care regime contributed to the loss of your daughter? >> what happened was that tiffany basically fell through
5:58 pm
the cracks of our health care system. she was working as an assistant manager, she had health care. crew members working at the same fast food restaurant she was a manager at did not have health care so she was testifying in front of state legislators in washington, wanting to help crew members get health care coverage -- >> so she was an activist pushing for health care in her state. >> yes. she asked me to get her involved with the organization i was already working with. so she was doing activist work. when she died, marcellus then at 8 years old, it made him so bitter about her death because she didn't have to die, she lost her health care because she got
5:59 pm
sick. >> she got sick and from getting sick lost her job and from losing her job lost her insurance? >> correct. and when we went to the state to applied for medicaid so she could see her doctors for her illness, because she worked for a full year prior to that, she did not qualify. >> marcellus, how do you feel when you hear all of the insults people hurl at this bill and all the anger that it seems to stoke in people? what is your reaction to watching the amount of venom that there is about this piece of legislation? >> well, it makes me frustrated because i know that all of it isn't true. so it makes me feel frustrated to know that some people are actually believing in it and are getting a false perception of what the health care bill actually means. so then it makes me just frustrated because all of the hard work that everybody's been
6:00 pm
doing, including my grandmother and me and my mom have put into it, it just seems that we've been fighting for a long time and i think it's time for a change. >> it is time for a change and i think people are going to start to see the reality of what that looks like. >> thank you very much. that is all for our show. rachel maddow is next. >> thank you, my friend. >> this is not certainly that has happened in 17 years. this is huge news. here's how it looked on the front page of the "virginian pilot," and "the news & observer," the "deseret news," the "denver

40 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on